What Tenants Should Do in Case of a Break-in

While managing investment property in Perth, we have seen our share of break-ins. Even a place with a high standard of living isn’t immune to society’s problems. No matter where you live, or what precautions you take, there is always a chance of a break-in. When we manage investment properties, we always ensure that your tenants know what to do in case of a break-in.
Break In
If your tenants don’t know what to do after a break-in, they can make mistakes that will cost you thousands of dollars down the road. Damage that is not recorded and left to worsen can cause significant structural damage to your house. This makes it extremely important that your property management team educates your tenants on exactly what to do in case of a break-in.

Here is what we will tell your tenants to do, helping to mitigate any damages that could be done to your investment property.

Don’t Touch Anything

You must leave everything as it was for the police, so they can conduct a thorough investigation. This leads to the second thing.

Call the Police

You need to call the police, lodge a report, and make sure to get the report number.

Call Your Property Manager

If possible, send photos to your property manager so he/she can see the damage. In Perth, damages can mount quickly due to costs of labour and materials.

Let the property manager know about repairs and about any security issues. Did the thieves break a window? Did they break a lock? The property manager needs to know about it. A competent, professional property manager will attend to the damages within 24 hours.

Call Your Contents Insurer

You will need to lodge your claim. List all of your lost possessions and give the list to your insurer.

When the Police Leave

After the police leave, cleaning up is your responsibility. Many find it therapeutic, and that it helps them get back to normal after the trauma of being broken into. You may have to take temporary measures to secure the building while waiting for your property manager to arrange for a repair.

We hope this post has been helpful. Call 1300 472 427 for more information on professional property management.

Read an article on:What Tenants Should Do in Case of a Break-in


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Your Free Copy Now